NB: Open PDF for a quick view. Download Word Doc for copying & pasting stuff.
- Administrative Closure Summary, Notes, & Statutes (Word Doc)
- Quick Take: Fun with Castro-Tum. Let’s give the IJs and BIA members back their independent discretion, per the statute.
Brief: Matter of Atevisyan, 25 I&N Dec. 688 (BIA 2012) (PDF)
- Matter of Atevisyan, 25 I&N Dec. 688 (BIA 2012) (Word Doc)
- Quick Take: Sometimes administrative closure is the most efficient way to go (and it’s assumed that it’s within the authority of IJs/the BIA to choose this approach to docket management).
- Zuniga Romero v. Barr, No. 18-1850 (4th Cir. 8.29.19) (Word Doc)
- Quick Take: 4th Circuit responds to Barr’s Castro-Tum (2018), which forbade IJs and BIA members from using administrative closure (except where expressly permitted by statute). Circuit court’s holding reaffirms the appropriateness of admin closure & the authority of adjudicators to employ it where they discern it’s necessary.
- Matter of Castro-Tum, 27 I&N Dec. 271 (A.G. 2018) (Word Doc)
- Quick Take: Nope, you can’t do that here.