Protection from Sexual Violence and Intimidation Act (Act 25)
July 1, 2015
Civil remedy — preponderance of the evidence
Standing: any victim of sexual violence who is at risk of further harm by the perpetrator, within a NON-familial relationship.
Advocates may offer options counseling & accompany victim to court.
Up to 36 months, with extensions as appropriate.
SVPO = Sexual Violence Prevention Order
- Can be filed against minors
- If there’s been SV against a minor, copy shall be served on CYS
PFI = Protection from Intimidation Order
- Only appropriate for child victim <18, perpetrator > 18
- Harassment, stalking
- Relief: no contact @ employment, school; any other appropriate relief
- Online database maintained
Unknowns (as of 2017):
- Relative, but stranger? — probably SVP rather than PFA
- How will schools handle Title 9 mandates for investigation?
- Which court? Add to PFA docket?
- Do PFI orders expire at age 18?